Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A VERY Crazy Idea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Leper Kahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A VERY Crazy Idea
    Posted: 25 June 2007 at 12:00am
What if we got rid of experience? When I make a character I would be able to pick what level he or she was and change it at any point between games.
Then maybe a limit on the number of characters a person could have.

Edited by Leper Kahn - 25 June 2007 at 6:32pm
It's the thing stopping you from power-gaming. It's the thing watching you brush your teeth at night. It's balance and it will- ... Wait... I'm thinking of another system! Sorry!
Malrubius View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Jonas Bailey

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Malrubius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2007 at 12:00am
That's crazy!

I was thinking that if the levels were halved (1-5) and you advanced based on a Fibonacci service credit chart that all classes at all levels would have some cool abilities. You could get a 5th level PC if you spent an entire season NPCing.

I think this would increase class value. Since most classes would have neat abilities at any level.

I think this would increase novice buy-in. Since you wouldn't have to wait, literally, a decade, to have a high level PC.

I think it would simply game design. Since there are less levels and combinations to consider.

I think it would allow for more Risk in games. Since PCs advance more rapidly they shouldn't be the work of, literally, decades, and thus of greater attachment to the player. This isn't to say they couldn't be resurrected or anything like that.

I think it would increase diversity in the organization. Since starting a new PC and getting them to a reasonable (3rd) level wouldn't be a huge huge investment of time and service credits. Why not try a Monk? Why not try a Mage?

Suppose you get 1 credit for NPCing, writing, GMing, and so forth, and 2 for producing.

The progresssion would be:

0-1 for 1st
2 for 2nd
3 for 3rd
5 for 4th
8 for 5th.

Cumulative. So that 8 total credits is a 5th level character.

As has been discussed in other threads treasure comes from games, advancement comes from service.

I'm pretty sure this idea also belongs in a thread called "A VERY Crazy Idea". Big%20smile

Hobbes: "What kind of nut would *care* about all this?"Calvin: "*EVERYONE!* This is hard data! It lets you quantify your enjoyment!"
 Post Reply Post Reply