IFGS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Scroll" Rule?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: What should a universal "Scroll Rule" be named?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [26.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.67%]
10 [66.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Jonas Bailey

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Malrubius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Scroll" Rule?
    Posted: 23 January 2007 at 12:00am
In the latest rules version it is likely that what used to be called "The Scroll Rule" will apply to all magic items. As such it's not really a "scroll" rule anymore. And the SSC at least is tired of referring to it as such.

So....what should we call it instead?

Please feel free to select "other" in the poll and then post your alternative....

Hobbes: "What kind of nut would *care* about all this?"Calvin: "*EVERYONE!* This is hard data! It lets you quantify your enjoyment!"
brandon_ifgs View Drop Down
D/B Board and SC Member
D/B Board and SC Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote brandon_ifgs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 12:00am
How about the MILL (Magic Item Level Limit) Rule?

Smile
Brandon Slaten
DB Sanctioning - DB Awards
Spencer View Drop Down
Society Fantasy Rules Committee
Spencer Corbin Lawson

Post Options Post Options   Quote Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 12:00am

I like MILL, shorter and to the point.

Spencer Corbin Lawson - PNW Member"It looks like they used the tried and true combat tactic of hiding behind the MU." Camille Graves
PNWJill View Drop Down
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote PNWJill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 12:00am
Newb Question: What is "The Scroll Rule"?

We're going through IFGS U out here in the northwest, and I think this refers to not being able to use an item that has a spell or ability that's more than X levels higher than your character level?

Thanks!
"""The god of the cannibals will be a cannibal, of the crusaders a crusader, and of the merchants a merchant."" -emerson"
brandon_ifgs View Drop Down
D/B Board and SC Member
D/B Board and SC Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote brandon_ifgs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 12:00am
That is correct, currently the rule only applies to Scrolls.  There is discussion to make it apply to all types of Magic Items.
Brandon Slaten
DB Sanctioning - DB Awards
PNWJill View Drop Down
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote PNWJill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 12:00am
In that case, I like the write-in candidate of MILL.

All the freakin' acronyms I'm memorizing lately are just yucky, but when I find out what they -mean- then it helps a lot of they're blatant. Since this rule refers to magic items, MI works, and as it's about implementing a level limit, LL works.

The other options could work, but I think they make an assumption of history that might not be friendly to new players learning the system.
"""The god of the cannibals will be a cannibal, of the crusaders a crusader, and of the merchants a merchant."" -emerson"
Malrubius View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Jonas Bailey

Post Options Post Options   Quote Malrubius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 12:00am
Originally posted by brandon_ifgs

That is correct, currently the rule only applies to Scrolls.  There is discussion to make it apply to all types of Magic Items.

This is semi-incorrect I think.

Presently in 6.8 the Scroll Rule is for Scrolls only.

6.97 has it applying to magic items. period.

So, I don't know if that puts in discussion or proposed, but it's certainly there by default in the current field guide.
Hobbes: "What kind of nut would *care* about all this?"Calvin: "*EVERYONE!* This is hard data! It lets you quantify your enjoyment!"
Magness View Drop Down
Society Board Member
Society Board Member
Society Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Magness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 12:00am
Join the Association of Angry Americans Against Acronym Abuse, AAAAAA, or single double triple A (SDTA) as I like to call it.

Does it really need a name?  If the rules simply state that an item of more than X levels above the level of the PC does not work for that PC then it is simply a part of the rules.
Grizwald View Drop Down
Denver/Boulder Board Member
Brian Olsen

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grizwald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 12:00am
Originally posted by Magness

Join the Association of Angry Americans Against Acronym Abuse, AAAAAA, or single double triple A (SDTA) as I like to call it.

Does it really need a name?  If the rules simply state that an item of more than X levels above the level of the PC does not work for that PC then it is simply a part of the rules.

Right now it's being referred to as the scroll rule, but it applies to more than scrolls.  So we think it needs a new name.  Plus by giving it an awesome name, it makes it stand out so players don't forget about it. 

I think it helps if you say “The Rule of Absolute Power ” in a deep booming voice as though the heavens have partedWink

"Brian Olsenn00b 4 l1f3!If your reading this the SSC is planing on taking away your magic items. Just you and nobody else. Thank you for reading this."
Magness View Drop Down
Society Board Member
Society Board Member
Society Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Magness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2007 at 12:00am
I can see that.  It would help with the transition to have a name for it that people can remember.  Perhaps something simple that describes the rule like:

The Scale Rule - Because it causes items to scale with PC level.
or
The Item Cap - Because it gives items a cap by level.
or
The Item Level Cap - Same as above, but a little longer.

Just a few thoughts, but I don't feel strongly one way or the other.  "The Rule of Absolute Power" would work just fine.  IMO it sounds a little heavy handed, but that's just me.  I would have no problem with that as the name.

Malrubius View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Jonas Bailey

Post Options Post Options   Quote Malrubius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2007 at 12:00am
I'd favor MILL, even tho I don't like it.

viva la Rule of Absolute Power! (power rule for short and informal settings)

Power Rule is good too.

I think Michael is right that once it's got a name and is clearly applied to ALL items it will just be "the rules" but...in the meantime, I'd like to stop calling it "The scroll rule" all the time, particularly sense we're never actually talking about scrolls.
PNWRyan View Drop Down
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote PNWRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2007 at 12:00am
I almost feel like I am jumping in late, there is so much suggestions here already. But as a noob I am partial to the suggestion of the MILL Rule, just because it is a clear acronym.

I do like the sound of Rule of Absolute Power, but as a new member, or someone simply not "in the know", I would have no clue what this Absolute Power is, and it may be confused with another rule or maybe even an SAS (once again, I am a noob, that may just be me). I also find myself thinking the other suggestions in the survey above have the same ambiguity. They are talking about levels, but leave out the most important part: they are levels of Magic Items.

Edited by PNWRyan - 24 January 2007 at 1:35pm
Spencer View Drop Down
Spencer Corbin Lawson

Post Options Post Options   Quote Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2007 at 12:00am
You may be a noob but you are our noob, Ryan.Wink

Great points, if we are looking for clarity for transmission of information we should use titles that are intuitive for those in and out of "the know".
Spencer Corbin Lawson - PNW Member"It looks like they used the tried and true combat tactic of hiding behind the MU." Camille Graves
Grizwald View Drop Down
Brian Olsen

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grizwald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2007 at 12:00am
Originally posted by PNWRyan

I almost feel like I am jumping in late, there is so much suggestions here already. But as a noob I am partial to the suggestion of the MILL Rule, just because it is a clear acronym.

I do like the sound of Rule of Absolute Power, but as a new member, or someone simply not "in the know", I would have no clue what this Absolute Power is, and it may be confused with another rule or maybe even an SAS (once again, I am a noob, that may just be me). I also find myself thinking the other suggestions in the survey above have the same ambiguity. They are talking about levels, but leave out the most important part: they are levels of Magic Items.

Not sure how to help you with understanding Absolute Power, but this is Ultimate Power
"Brian Olsenn00b 4 l1f3!If your reading this the SSC is planing on taking away your magic items. Just you and nobody else. Thank you for reading this."
Tim Falcon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Brett Paul - Registry Online

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tim Falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2007 at 12:00am
MILL passes the test of remembering what it stands for pretty easily.
- Brett
Society Tech member, and OrcSports player.
Joel View Drop Down
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote Joel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2007 at 12:00am
I vote for MILL because of the simplicity for remembering it.

I anti-vote for the Rule of Absolute Power because ROAP makes me think "get a ROAP and hang'em high" -- which, while appropriate, perhaps, for folks *violating* the rule, also has the unfortunate connotation of "use this to hang current folks out to dry". As does another, similar word. The phrase "I got ROAPed" should never enter the IFGS vocabulary, please -- and if *I* thought of it, someone else will, too... (requisite smiley, this is not to be taken *too* seriously).
 Post Reply Post Reply