Forum Home Forum Home > Chapter News and Notes > Southern California Chapter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SoCal Forums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
No Posts
No Posts

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote wolf scout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SoCal Forums
    Posted: 10 August 2002 at 12:00am
So is the IFGS pretty much dead in Ca. I wouldn't mind reviving something, but I'm in Santa Cruz
Commuterrat View Drop Down
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote Commuterrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2002 at 12:00am
I've seen a little spark of interest here within the past couple of days. It makes me think there might be something promising going on, after all.

That's up by San Jose? I liked the view up there. Quite a drive, but being stuck in Bakersfield, I know how that is. I'm always having to make some inhumane commute or other.

...So Dark the Con of Man...
wolf scout View Drop Down
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote wolf scout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2002 at 12:00am

True. There are quite a few excellent parks up here. As far as the commute goes, I lucked out and found a decent job about 5 - 10 minutes from home Tongue....even with traffic.

Does SoCal ever do 2 day events. I'd have to spend about 10 - 12 hours total to go from SC to LA and back.
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote Commuterrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2002 at 12:00am
LUCKY!

As long as I've been back in Cali, which has only been since about '01, I only attended one weekend event in Big Bear. '04 or '05 I think it was? I don't remember anything in or around LA or our usual Huntington Beach that lasted a full weekend. Maybe for the Cons? I wasn't able to make the last one, myself, and it wasn't terribly recent. Some of the veterans could probably inform you far better than I, since with my schedule in the past I've preferred to stick to the single day events.

If our veterans were lurking in the forums, that is.

Anyhoo, I digress much. The 2 day events do exist...I mean, they did exist. Every now and again brave souls would produce those beasties, but as far as I could tell, locations varied, so you have as good of a chance of making a 12 hour commute as one maybe half that time.

With any luck and a spark of life we might be seeing these events in So-Cal by the time the weather cools off, who knows...   

No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote wolf scout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2002 at 12:00am
2 day events aren't too bad. I produced NERO events in Alabama, Santa Cruz and Phoenix, AZ. The trick to it is the pacing of the modules and then you have to have random "fluff" thrown in. The only difficulty would be the way IFGS has the ratings for adventure thrown in as far as fillers go.

If we were to consolidate under just Ca I might be able to put something together. It would be a trick to do, but it would be possible. I still have many NERO props and an NPC camp's worth of Ironliege weapons.................thinking........thinking....yeah it could be done.

BTW its still pretty nice weather here (and it almost ALWAYS is Wink) and I have a game site in mind and the basic ideas for a 2 day "room-hybrid" game, but it would be expensive as the facility is $1000 a weekend and VERY limited space. It is a replica of a scottish castle though. Would make a great halloween game.

If the SoCal crew is willing to make the drive I may be able to pull this off. I can also (possibly) get a crew together up here in time. I took NERO Az from 5 members to 30 in 2 or 3 months with an average attendance of 20. If we can unify Cali we might be able to meet in the middle somewhere for group gatherings.

This is possible guys. It would take some emailing and phone calls....ok alot of emails and phone calls, but we could make Cali a "power house" for the IFGS. Also seeing as there are two other strong chapters (Denver and PACNW) we might be able to pull off a "regional" event.

It may even be possible to rival NERO with the right marketing. Just a thought.

Edited by wolf scout - 12 August 2007 at 9:04am
MLoki View Drop Down
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote MLoki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2002 at 12:00am

I do remember a couple "2-day" or at least "1 day and an evening" games.  However, for the most part any 2-day events that were run were split into a couple of weekends.  I am very interested in playing events in or around southern California.  I am currently in Palm Springs and it is always nice weather out here.  I have also been scouting out locations in this area.  I did have a game written and could possibly reproduce it with an active sactioning commitee.  What we really need for a California chapter to revive itself are low level games run for new players to get into the game.  There are enough LA conventions (Quarterly or at least every 3-day weekend) to be able to advertise these games to gain more interest.  I would be glad to discuss more options for games and I am still in touch with some So-Cal members who would like to see this revival.

Conrad Mikaelian

Garen 8th Ranger
Halafan 7th Mage
and others...
Gladius View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member
Matt Puccio

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gladius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2002 at 12:00am
Just a note to you all that I revived the SoCal mailing list. You can subscribe to it on the society website:

There are currently about 70 email addresses subscribed to it.
Valar Morghulis!
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote wolf scout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2002 at 12:00am
70 huh??? It's a start. We can do this guys so lets get it going. What needs to be done? I have some ideas so who's the chapter head? I have already requested the go ahead to start a chapter up here and I have some I have a few ideas on how we can work together as "sister" chapters and do more regional stuff as well.

Edited by wolf scout - 13 August 2007 at 5:03pm
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote Commuterrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2002 at 12:00am
Where are all these happy people? LOL I don't think I saw 70 people at the most populous event.

No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote wolf scout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2002 at 12:00am
I would think that they registered and then lost interest with the game dying down. I have a few marketing techniques that have worked really well in the past. The net seems to work wonders when the sites are updated, but resources like myspace and meetup.com do really well too. Then there's just straight up leg work and hitting all the game and cominc stores you can think of with flyers as well. Also, cyber cafes and internet gaming areas will pay off big. If you have the budget, movie theaters work well if you can get an add onto one of the premovie advertisements your forced to watch 100 times before the previews start.

Who is leading the chapter at this point? I can be contacted at owner@neroaz.com. Get in touch and we can probably put something together. I am currently working on getting a "Monterey Bay " chapter going. I know this will work guys. If we play our cards right as "sister chapters" there will be a lot more than a "spark" of interest.

Edited by wolf scout - 13 August 2007 at 9:34pm
Spencer View Drop Down
Society Fantasy Rules Committee
Spencer Corbin Lawson

Post Options Post Options   Quote Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2002 at 12:00am
Chris Vrem was the last President for SoCal.  His address can be found in the membership list of this forum as "Chris".
Spencer Corbin Lawson - PNW Member"It looks like they used the tried and true combat tactic of hiding behind the MU." Camille Graves
MLoki View Drop Down
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote MLoki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2002 at 12:00am
The last game I went to was a couple of years back.  At that time Mike Fairbanks was Prez.  I have spoken to him recently and he still has most of the props and weapons for the chapter.  He is still interested in getting games organized but needs to have the props moved to another location.

MLoki
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote wolf scout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2002 at 12:00am
An email was sent to the contact on the IFGS page. If they don't respond, would someone else be willing to take this on?
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote Commuterrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2002 at 12:00am
I'm trying to send out a note to the only contact addresses I have left, hopefully I can flag someone down or get some more of the old pages back.

I wish I had more room in my sardine can of a house, too. Unfortunately I barely have room for my own pathetic little bundle of props. lol

Spencer View Drop Down
Spencer Corbin Lawson

Post Options Post Options   Quote Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2002 at 12:00am
If you do not get any response after 3 attempts you should contact the society board (board@ifgs.org) and ask for their help.  That is one of the functions of the board.

Edited by Spencer - 15 August 2007 at 7:49am
Spencer Corbin Lawson - PNW Member"It looks like they used the tried and true combat tactic of hiding behind the MU." Camille Graves
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote wolf scout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2002 at 12:00am
Ok so things are getting strated. I am scaping together my first 5 members and we should be holding our first game with in the coming months. For you SoCal guys, if nothing is going on down there, I can try to put together a 2 day or back to back one days if you'd like to make the trip.

Also just an FYI. I put together a Myspace page to start building a following. The address is http://myspace.com/ifgsmontereybay. As we build we'll move to a full on site, but this should suffice for now as I build upto provisional chapter and beyond

Edited by wolf scout - 16 August 2007 at 10:27pm
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote Commuterrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2002 at 12:00am
Last week at work kicked my rear, but I'm still checking in. I'll be looking forward to seeing what events I can scrounge around at after the middle of September, too.

I keep telling people I'll have to look into that whole myspace thing. Gah.

Chris View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member
Chris Vrem

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2002 at 12:00am
Wolf_Scout, gratz on starting a chapter up in NorCal Smile

As for SoCal, there is a revival spark that is being fanned and things seem to be happening.  A flyer has been sent out by Anita via email and snail mail to see what interest there is.  If you haven't talked with her already, please send her an email at spideryfairy@gmail.com.

We should have our email list back soon, ifgssocal@ifgs.org, and I'll be working with the society webmaster to get our web site back up.

I was making arrangements for props a few weeks ago, when Mike Fairbanks changed his mind and decided to move them to the house he will soon be renting.

So, props are safe, paperwork is still here; all we need are members who are paid up so we can elect a new board and officers.

The main discussion, which I think I'll direct to these forums, is whether or not to go closed world, or try to run regular IFGS games again, or both.

Thanks for popping your heads up and showing your interest!

Chris
Gladius View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member
Matt Puccio

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gladius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2002 at 12:00am
small correction: the list address is

To subscribe go to this page:

Valar Morghulis!
MLoki View Drop Down
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote MLoki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2002 at 12:00am
The E-Mail address for Anita bounced but I would like to be included in announcements.  Thank you.

Conrad Mikaelian
MLoki@aol.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>