FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SoCal Forums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member
Vice President, Society Board & Tech Com

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Ray Appling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SoCal Forums
    Posted: 22 February 2009 at 12:00am
Commuterrat, Could you contact me?

SGP/Expansion is trying to work with those with chapters that have failed to find out what can be done to help.

nimloth ...at... mindspring....com
Commuterrat View Drop Down
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote Commuterrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2009 at 12:00am
::salute:: It is done. :D Check your spam folder, I got a re-direct. LOL

...So Dark the Con of Man...
Ray Appling View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ray Appling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2009 at 12:00am
got, reply sent
Theo View Drop Down
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote Theo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 12:00am
     So Sad.

I guess I was fortunate to have participated in the Southern California games when they were strong. I joined the West Los Angeles chapter for "The Letter" in September of 1990. I was a starving college student and could never participate as much as I wanted back then. Even so, there was nothing else like an IFGS game! I managed to play in a few others, quartermastered for Cal's first two-day game, "Enchanted Forest," July , 1991, ran through numerous games as a photographer because I could do it without advance preparation, so it didn't impact my studies. My last California game was "Lydwellin's Challenge IV," October, 1994, at which I bade my farewells and after which I relocated to the Detroit Metro Area. Tried to get involved in the Detroit Provisional Chapter, tried to get it resurrected, it's gone. Played as a different character in "Descent to the Sacred Grotto" June, 1998 in Ohio, then that chapter folded. June of 1999 a team of us Michiganders went to play in "Kingdom of Nod" in Wisconsin, and they scrapped our team down for NPC's, else there would have been no game. In July of 2000, I flew to Colorado to play in "Dark Idol 1," but I was laid off in October, haven't worked in engineering since, and can't afford to travel. I never even got a Character Record Sheet for that game.

In "Kingdom of Nod" I played the part of a prince who offered to pay the adventurers gold for killing a dragon and saving his realm, but when the task was done he paid them with coin that was valueless beyond his realm, and they killed him for his bad faith.

Curious stuff, gold. You can't eat it. It gives no warmth. Its direct usefulness is quite limited in agriculture, architecture, sanitation, transportation, medicine or ecology, yet people put great faith in its indirect usefulness, and in the indirect usefulness of monetary systems and standards.

The IFGS produces games. They are our product. They are sanctioned for quality, rated for difficulty and measured in hours. The IFGS expends a resource to produce them; the willingness of our members to participate as NPCs, in faith that their efforts will be reciprocated in kind, is a limited resource. It is nearly intangible, even to the individuals themselves, but when it's thoroughly exhausted it is nearly unmistakable, and absolutely irreplaceable. Maybe this is what happened to Southern California, which went from two active chapters to nothing left. Once upon a time, they ran a game, "Is Your Swash Buckled?" that was so well received that it inspired all of the San Diego people to leave and try to create their own organization, (we lost them, they gained nothing so far as I can tell). At one point, I thought that a point system that required NPC or game production performance to participate in PC roles might help correct the burnout problem, but I never had the nerve to introduce it. I have had many ideas over the years: for new rules and rules additions, for a game that sanctioning referred to as "The Big One" which was never produced, and on and on... but I guess so much is gone now. It's like when DPC folded; I feel like I have no home to go back to.

Theodore Schultz, (Teo Macavity, Wemic Thief and Penumbric, AKA Shadowdancer, 1/4 elven thief)
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ray Appling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 12:00am
wow Theo, I'm so sorry to hear that.  I'd be thrilled to help support an effort to rebuild your chapter.  We've got some really good people here doing all we can to rebuild.  Tell us if there is anything we can do to help.  Do you want to give it a try... rebuilding your chapter or starting a new one?
rAy
Forums Administrator

You sir, would fight to the death against a knight who is not your enemy over a stretch of road you could easily ride around. - Lancelot in Excalibur 1981
Theo View Drop Down
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote Theo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 12:00am
     Not much you can do. Not unless you can "Speed Up the Harvest, Alter Time or Teleport Me Off this Rock." This is DEEtroit, "Where the Weak are Killed and Eaten." 'Bama & Co. may be saying that the Big Three are Too Big to Fail, but a brief recollection of history will show the fallacies of such reasoning. I'm here and you're not, and you should be glad for that fact. I have responsibilities, and I'm surrounded by 'danes, (mundanes). Madness takes its toll, and I'm not as spry as I once was.

What I'd really like, what might cheer my heart, would be if I could persuade someone to try some of my ideas and concepts in IFGS games and see if they make some things more playable. I've had a lot of time to think about things, years of dreams piling up around me, and I'd like to try and give something back.

Sincerely, Theo.
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote Commuterrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 12:00am
I'm going to scout around a gamer's shop here in town out of morbid curiosity, see if maybe there's not some rabid new blood lurking about that little hole in the wall. We'll see what trouble I get into.... ;)

IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ray Appling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 12:00am
Originally posted by Theo

Not much you can do. Not unless you can "Speed Up the Harvest, Alter Time or Teleport Me Off this Rock." This is DEEtroit, "Where the Weak are Killed and Eaten." 'Bama & Co. may be saying that the Big Three are Too Big to Fail, but a brief recollection of history will show the fallacies of such reasoning. I'm here and you're not, and you should be glad for that fact. I have responsibilities, and I'm surrounded by 'danes, (mundanes). Madness takes its toll, and I'm not as spry as I once was.

What I'd really like, what might cheer my heart, would be if I could persuade someone to try some of my ideas and concepts in IFGS games and see if they make some things more playable. I've had a lot of time to think about things, years of dreams piling up around me, and I'd like to try and give something back.

Sincerely, Theo.

I understand, Theo.  Please feel free to pass along any and all ideas to expansion... at... ifgs.... org. I would love to start a dialog regarding your ideas.

Originally posted by Commuterrat

I'm going to scout around a gamer's shop here in town out of morbid curiosity, see if maybe there's not some rabid new blood lurking about that little hole in the wall. We'll see what trouble I get into.... ;)

While you're at it Commuterrat, could you put out some feelers at some of those shops to see if they might carry our rule book?  Let me know what you find out.
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote Commuterrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 12:00am
Sure, I can do that. Will letcha know what I find. :D

IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Awesome!  Thanks!
Theo View Drop Down
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote Theo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 12:00am
     I will write to them, but if the Expansion Committee is what I think it is I don't have much for them yet. As I see it, the role of the Expansion Committee is like that of an obstetrician, delivering newborn chapters, or a salesman, selling a prospect a good or service that they've never had before. I don't yet know how SoCal died, not really, but I suspect that this is like a win-back situation. The salesman needs a different product to win this customer back. The obstetrician? Well, maybe the cleric, must first neutralize the poison, then resurrect the dead, and then, well, I hope you're ready to feed the subject....

Will it do to have a Life-Spark? Reanimate Dead? Resurrection? How about a Transfiguration of the biblical variety? Something profound enough that even if the death was an intentional suicide, the subject would give the new life a fair chance. That’s what I want for SoCal, a proven, top-grade product that they have to give a decent chance, but I don’t want to test it on SoCal; I want to test it out on a healthy volunteer first.

I don't have a System or a Series of ideas and suggestions, only a collection. Some may have been tried and failed twenty years ago, some may have been implemented successfully five years ago and I wouldn’t know it, and some may be new, untried, and capable of changing the IFGS product completely. Expansion Committee? Sanctioning? FRC may say that some of what I’m suggesting will go in FR 7.5

It’s hard to know where to start. I haven’t played in an IFGS game in over eight years. I’ve never been on the inside of IFGS society politics and I would appreciate it if someone with real experience would advise me.

Sincerely, Theo.
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ray Appling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2009 at 12:00am
Theo,

The new Expansion still does that, but alittle more now.  If you would like to know exactly what it does under the SGP (Society General Promotions) then take a look at the charter pasted into this post.

http://forum.ifgs.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=1462
Salaris View Drop Down
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote Salaris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2009 at 12:00am
As a former game writer and producer for the SoCal IFGS, I can tell you that a sizable percentage of the former SoCal IFGS is still playing together - just in other games.

Please keep in mind that this post is just based on my own opinions and experience. I'm trying to be constructive with my commentary here in the hopes that other chapters might benefit from my feedback.

The IFGS was my first LARP, and it's still very close to my heart, but as others have mentioned there's just too much red tape.

Some issues:

1. Getting your own game sanctioned could be very difficult, especially for a new designer. While existing events can be run with less difficulty, this means that game producers who are interested in writing their own events often have to jump through hoops to get their own event sanctioned and ready to run.

2. The game has huge power differenential between older, more established characters and new PCs. This power difference is extremely obvious because there are some games that run with a wide level range (sometimes even 1-10) where the lower level PCs have little to contribute unless encounters are specifically tuned with them in mind. When I joined the IFGS 11 years ago, I was told that I would need to spend a few years to "pay my dues" before I could really actively participate. I see a system where that is necessary as being inherently flawed. You don't have to be a legend on day 1, but you should be able to contribute in a meaningful way.

3. Politics. Nuff said.

4. The game system itself is designed primarily for line courses. While I'm aware that world course and multi-day IFGS games certainly exist, they are less than optimal due to the lack of certain common features in other games that help make it easier to design open-ended and long term events, such as:
a) The ability to meditate and recover points.
b) Abilities that are on a per encounter scale instead of a point scale.
c) It's been a while, but I seem to recall a rule that requires downtime during the event? This could be my imagination.
d) Special abilities, items, etc. that require large numbers of players to function (i.e. ritual magic).

5. Due to the emphasis on line course events and sanctioning times, running a coherent campaign is much more difficult in the IFGS than in some other games. This is, again, based purely on my own experience.

6. The economy in the IFGS makes magical items more important than character abilities. I know this has been discussed ad naeusum already, but it can be a real turn off to new players and old players alike. Likewise, the fact that only magical items allow players to customize their characters can be percieved as a major problem for some gamers.

I realize that most of these points I've presented have a justification behind them, but as someone who used to be very active in SoCal I saw these as major factors in why we are no longer running events. I planned to be there for Anita's revival, and if she chooses to run another event I'm still interested, but I sincerely doubt I would ever be as active as I used to be. The rules for the IFGS are simply too limiting. There are so many more options in more open-ended game systems, I feel much more comfortable as a player and as a designer in some other games out there.

Just my two coppers.
wader View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote wader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2009 at 12:00am
interesting post! what is the game system the old IFGS'ers are playing now? what percentage to switched still play?  very cool of you to throw this out.

Also, as to paying dues I totally agree. Here is a quick story that may or may not resonate with you. 

Many years ago (20) I was a encounter cordinator for a Rena R game up on surgar loaf in boulder.  At the end of the game I was hanging out people watching. One of the teams, with a young Matt Puccio (college student at the time) and company were sitting down filling out paperwork and discussing a upcoming game and how much them all want to get on a team and play their characters again.   Pete Sartucci walking by overhears this and mentioned to the young mob that they just got done playing a game, and that it might be a good idea to NPC the upcoming game, in fact he pointed out he found it a good practice to try and NPC in games 3 or 4 times for every time he PC'ed a game. He pointed out that this helped the chapters and gave everyone a chance to play.  Being the nice guy he was he said this really gently and then moved on.  After he left  the players kind of looked around at each other and were sort of quiet for a sec or two. Then Matt looked at the others and said,  I am a student, I dont know how many chances I am going to get to play, so no one is going to tell me if I can play or how I should work for the chapter IFGS, I will figure that out. This is not a exact quote just the best I can remember it, but I remeber it really well because it made such a impact on me.  The other players just looked at him dumbfounded, they couldn't believe he had the nerve to say what they were thinking out loud, and so calmly and matter of fact.  Best part of the story? well that season every where I looked Puccio was doing something for games, NPC, SC, production, etc... and everywhere that Puccio wasn't Peter was! There didn't seem to be one game for the next couple of seasons that one or the other wasn't 'hauling wood' and making things happen. Pretty much that way until I left CO.

My point? Two people, two diff ages, two diff social circles, two totally diff views on service, and finally one result, two guys giving a lifetime of service to the org.

See I think your right, "pay your dues" turns people off, or at least it did back in the day.  No, you got to lead by example, It wasn't what Peter would say about NPC vs playing that motivated people, I think it was all the NPC'ing he did. If people dont want to help, or they are just a bit selfish, telling them wont do anthing, but showing them might.

Just my buck-fifty
Salaris View Drop Down
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote Salaris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2009 at 12:00am
Yeah, your story definitely rings true to me. Leading by example is exactly what's been happening out here. A couple people decided that they wanted different styles of games, so they just took the initiative and started up new styles of games. Others followed suit quickly thereafter.

The majority of the IFGS players from SoCal that I know of are currently playing in Live Effects or retired from gaming. There are a couple players in Dying Kingdoms as well.

Live Effects is an umbrella organization that helps coordinate several very different LARPs, including fantasy, sci-fi, horror, etc. Most of the games are skill point based, and you can typically get skill points for the game of your preference by staffing in the other games, which offers an incentive to participate in a wide variety of different events.

For example, Angel's Tear is a class-based, line course style game, with games that function in a similar way to IFGS events. Not only do you gain experience for playing in that game when you participate, but you also gain skill points that can be spent in other Live Effects events, such as the Swamps of Avalon fantasy world-course games or the Beyond the Veil dark fantasy/horror campaign. Although Angel's Tear is class-based, it's also important to note that unlike the IFGS, it still has skill points that players can use to purchase other skills between events. In my opinion, this greatly enhances the ability of players to customize their characters. That way, you can have a mage who dual wields, or a paladin who can cast a basic offensive spell, etc. without purchasing magical equipment.

Some of the SoCal IFGS crew also used to play in Adventures Unlimited up in Northern California, but when it switched over to being Realms of Conflict most of the former IFGS crew didn't come back due to the long driving distance and the availablilty of Live Effects games down south. There are a couple exceptions; I know at least one former IFGS member that still makes the drive up to NorCal for Realms of Conflict.

Dying Kingdoms is another popular game in SoCal with both line and world courses. It's skill based, and the Dying Kingdoms community and the Live Effects community have a lot of overlap. I'm personally on long-term game staff for Dying Kingdoms and running a Live Effects chapter at this time.

Some links for the curious:
http://www.onlineeffects.com
http://www.dyingkingdoms.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123