FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Super Bowl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
D/B Board and SC Member
D/B Board and SC Member

Seth Magle

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Bowl
    Posted: 20 January 2014 at 1:23pm
Back in the late 90s, when the Broncos played in a couple of Super Bowls, Chet Phelps of the Southern Colorado chapter had a habit of issuing a bet to the IFGS chapter located in the same vicinity as the Broncos' opponent. 

The bet was that the chapter of the losing team had to run an IFGS game for the chapter of the winning team, with approximate ratings and level spread determined by the winners. 

I rather liked this tradition.  It led to two of my favorite IFGS game experiences.  And I note that the Broncos are playing the Seattle Seahawks, and we do have a Pacific Northwest Chapter...

As I am expatriated I don't feel qualified to throw down the gauntlet myself, but if such a challenge were issued I would be happy to help run the game if we lose.  And, of course, to play should we win.

-Seth
I also have characters! They have classes and levels.
Spencer View Drop Down
Society Fantasy Rules Committee
Society Fantasy Rules Committee
Spencer Corbin Lawson

Post Options Post Options   Quote Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2014 at 9:37am
Unfortunately I am not sure there is a PNW chapter anymore. We have not had a game in a couple of years, so I do not know if this bet is a good plan. I will ask around and see if there is interest.
Spencer Corbin Lawson - PNW Member"It looks like they used the tried and true combat tactic of hiding behind the MU." Camille Graves
Seth View Drop Down
D/B Board and SC Member
D/B Board and SC Member

Seth Magle

Post Options Post Options   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2014 at 10:18am
Aw, come on, I'm sure there are enough of you to run one little game.  I will help.  Smile
Paladin View Drop Down
Society Board Member
Society Board Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2014 at 5:55pm
I'm up for the bet win (Broncos) or lose (seahawks coughs)
Camille View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member
Camille Graves

Post Options Post Options   Quote Camille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2014 at 11:15am
After some discussion amongst our dormant members I think it would be possible to put on a game. 

Nicole and I will produce a game if the Broncos win. 

(although I am still routing for the Broncos).

I have the Characters everyone wants to kill.
Seth View Drop Down
D/B Board and SC Member
D/B Board and SC Member

Seth Magle

Post Options Post Options   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2014 at 12:08pm
Hooray!  I will help, or play, or stand around, or...or something!  But I want to be at that game!
Paladin View Drop Down
Society Board Member
Society Board Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2014 at 10:58pm
Okay just talked to Ray Michel and he agreed to be GD for our side of the bet. So just to make sure we all understand the terms, if the Soggy Chickens Wink win the superbowl D/B agrees to write and produce a game for PNW with PNW setting lvls, team size, flavor, risk etc.  and the reverse is true for when Denver wins.                       Agreed?      Handshake
NicoleCL View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member
Publications Chair

Post Options Post Options   Quote NicoleCL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2014 at 6:08pm
Camille is right - PNW will reconstitute itself in order to run a game for DB if the Broncos win. However, I don't think we can guarantee to accommodate any possible request for level, type of game, etc. Resources are a wee bit thin on the ground up here. But a swell game we shall produce!!

And Camille says that DB has to provide child care so she can play if the Seahawks win. (OK, she didn't actually say that, but she could.)
Nicole Corbin Lawson PNW Sewist and Smiter
Denver/Boulder Board Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ray M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2014 at 9:29pm
Yes, I have indeed agreed to this. (Like Seth ... I really like the tradition) And ... I like the people in the PNW chapter too.

And no worries, Nicole ... I will produce a game that will make everybody in PNW happy. The game I run will feature daycare, any level and flavor you desire, ice cream, running hot water, massages, and a five course meal served hot. I may even ask for it to rain that day so that the PNW members feel more at home (though that one may be a bit of a stretch for me to accomplish ... I mean, really ... getting it to rain during one of *my* games? Sheesh)

I will think of several more extraordinary promises to make for this amazing game ... because I know that I will only have to deliver on them if the Broncos lose ... ya, right ...    ;-)

Seth View Drop Down
D/B Board and SC Member
D/B Board and SC Member

Seth Magle

Post Options Post Options   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2014 at 12:51pm
Yes, I should state that the "any level, ratings, etc" thing never really happened. 

In 1997, Southern Colorado asked Wisconsin for a 2-day, level 8-10, medium rating kind of thing.  They delivered a 2-day, level 5-7, high fighting high risk kind of thing. 

In 1998, Southern Colorado asked Atlanta for a 2-day, level 8-10, medium rating kind of thing.  They delivered a 2-day giant world course festival game for all levels. 

So...I think perhaps the winning chapter should be permitted to make suggestions about the nature of the game, which may or may not be followed.  I don't think (from what I'm hearing) PNW is probably up for running a 2-day game, for example. 

And Ray, if you need an assistant GW, I am your guy. 

Go Broncos. 

Edited by Seth - 27 January 2014 at 12:52pm
NicoleCL View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member
Publications Chair

Post Options Post Options   Quote NicoleCL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2014 at 9:06pm
Obligatory trash talk, obligatory trash talk.

Ray, your rain don't scare me!

Unless you mean you are taking the normal amount of rain in one of your games, and scaling it up to make it proportional to how much rainier the PNW is in general compared to Colorado.  It that's the case, I'm concerned.  I don't know how to build an ark.

Edited by NicoleCL - 01 February 2014 at 9:06pm

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ray M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2014 at 7:59pm
<SIGH .... >

Okay, PNW ... what kind of game do you want? You know my email ...

PS: I will try and make the game as painful for you as watching that was for me ...    ;-)

Looking forward to seeing you at the game ...
Ray M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ray M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2014 at 8:02pm
And when ...
Paladin View Drop Down
Society Board Member
Society Board Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2014 at 8:02pm
Ray Off the top of my head I suggest that the first encounter is getting by Teaser and Turmoil and then we get nasty. Sound good?
Ray M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ray M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2014 at 8:04pm
Nah ... I already have a game plot in mind. Couldn't help but start thinking of one a few days ago ... you know, just in case by some outrageous chance ...

Geesh ... I love them Broncos ...
Ray M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ray M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2014 at 8:08pm
And ... I was looking forward to the excuse of "having" to visit the Portland area again ... oh well ...    ;-)
Seth View Drop Down
D/B Board and SC Member
D/B Board and SC Member

Seth Magle

Post Options Post Options   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2014 at 8:48pm
As before, let me know if I can help, Ray.  NPC, idea sounding board, whatever you need.  
NicoleCL View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member
Publications Chair

Post Options Post Options   Quote NicoleCL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2014 at 9:12pm
Gee, you mean we don't get the massages and the five course meal?

And I was worried there might be hard feelings after that game. /innocent/

Ok, you know me - if it was a game for just me and Spencer, I'd be totally down with massive fighting and horrible death all around. However, most of the PNW doesn't roll that way (except maybe Jonas), so I imagine the request will be for lighter fare, especially since my co-producer volunteer will have just given birth. Let me survey my peeps and see who can get their butt to Colorado to have it smacked with foam.

How's August 9th for you folk?
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member
Publications Chair

Post Options Post Options   Quote NicoleCL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2014 at 9:13pm
And you should come visit Portland anyway! With enough advance notice, I can provide awesome beach accommodations.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ray M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2014 at 10:07pm

But of course I will deliver on my promises!!

Just to make sure though that there are no misunderstandings or hard feelings, please make sure to read my post carefully ...

Originally posted by Ray M.

... ice cream, running hot water, massages, and a five course meal served hot. I may even ask for it to rain that day so that the PNW members feel more at home ...

I never said for whom all of that stuff will be provided. So I figure that while the game staff and I am getting massages and eating a nice hot meal with ice cream for dessert ... the players will get all the rain they want! See? I keep my promises ...    
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>