FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A time for change.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Society Fantasy Rules Committee
Spencer Corbin Lawson

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A time for change.
    Posted: 09 September 2013 at 8:19am
I have been a constant force to keep IFGS as it has always been, but I think that time is over, IMO.

After attending Tavern of the Verdant Cup in Colorado this summer, it was awesome to see so many young members attending the game. They were excited and willing to do what was necessary for the game to succeed. I appreciated every one of them and I hope their IFGS experience will continue for more than 20 years as mine has.

The IFGS needs to adapt to make sure we can keep as many of these new members as possible and that will require us "traditionalists" to rethink what we have held as sacred and let go so of our old expectations.

The old mantra "I earned my 10th level character" is just false. We had FUN building those characters, we did not work to earn them, we played in great games to build them. We gained history and stories to tell. If a newer player uses a different method of building a high level character they will miss out on building history and have the heroic stories to tell, their loss really not mine.

We EARNED our CAP, the new members are EARNING their CAP. Yes the current rates are much more generous and there are more numerous ways to earn CAP, but everyone is still earning it. If we really value rewarding people for the service they provide, let them decide how to reward themselves.

Also why are we scared of more high level characters? I look at the increase in high level characters a boon. If there are more then it is likely there will be more high level games. Which I for one would be excited about.

I am sorry for being such a stick in the mud before now.

Edited by Spencer - 10 September 2013 at 8:07am
Spencer Corbin Lawson - PNW Member"It looks like they used the tried and true combat tactic of hiding behind the MU." Camille Graves
Tim Falcon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Brett Paul - Registry Online

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tim Falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2013 at 8:23am
Spencer - you should run for the board!
- Brett
Society Tech member, and OrcSports player.
Spencer View Drop Down
Spencer Corbin Lawson

Post Options Post Options   Quote Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2013 at 8:29am
Those are fighting words my friend! Wink

Edited by Spencer - 09 September 2013 at 8:29am
Spencer Corbin Lawson - PNW Member"It looks like they used the tried and true combat tactic of hiding behind the MU." Camille Graves
Michelle View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member
Michelle Lonsinger

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2013 at 11:43am
Well thought out, and well said, Spencer! Clap
Michelle Lonsinger
DB Chapter
JeffL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JeffL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2013 at 12:10pm
I really appreciate the sentiment of your post, Spencer! Thank you...
whaddon View Drop Down
William Haddon

Post Options Post Options   Quote whaddon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2013 at 7:27pm
Wow, Spencer.  Nice.  I wish I had any hope left that anyone but "the choir" could hear you.
If IFGS could just get rid of the games so it could focus on sustaining its own bureaucracy... we would finally be living the Dream.
Magness View Drop Down
Society Board Member
Society Board Member
Society Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Magness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 5:53am
You say this AFTER leaving the board...  :)

I agree, the trick is not to jump on change for the sake of change.  Just as something new is not necessarily evil and going to destroy Society, it may not be the best thing since kite spar and going to save it.
Moonglum Dracaro - Fighter 7, Bartok - Druid 5, Simon of Bath - Cleric 4, Marquis Stabe - Thief 3, Ki-Adi Vanthree - Monk 2, Cathaír - Ranger 1
whaddon View Drop Down
William Haddon

Post Options Post Options   Quote whaddon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 6:50am
Kite spar!  How old-fashioned.  :)
If IFGS could just get rid of the games so it could focus on sustaining its own bureaucracy... we would finally be living the Dream.
Magness View Drop Down
Society Board Member
Society Board Member
Society Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Magness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 7:30am
Next thing you'll be telling me transparent aluminum is old news...  :)

Moonglum Dracaro - Fighter 7, Bartok - Druid 5, Simon of Bath - Cleric 4, Marquis Stabe - Thief 3, Ki-Adi Vanthree - Monk 2, Cathaír - Ranger 1
Spencer View Drop Down
Spencer Corbin Lawson

Post Options Post Options   Quote Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Magness

You say this AFTER leaving the board...  :)

If I thought the board was listening to anything I was saying at the end I would have run again, but my soapbox was worn out and needed a break.

Originally posted by Magness

I agree, the trick is not to jump on change for the sake of change.  Just as something new is not necessarily evil and going to destroy Society, it may not be the best thing since kite spar and going to save it.

I feel this new look to "fix" the VMR is a form of change for change sake. It has not been around for very long. It has not been well publicized so most people have not seen it and a VERY few have actually used it. Those that have may or may not have used it in the way it was intended but did it in the open and with in the rules within. I see nothing broken to be fixed.

What it has done is allow a few people that have worked very hard to support their chapter to create characters that could play in any game offered. Why is this bad? (Hey William I ask your question in a different way to try to get an answer.)
Spencer View Drop Down
Spencer Corbin Lawson

Post Options Post Options   Quote Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 8:03am
Thanks for the kind words of support for my original post. I had to really look at why I was resistant to change and find that I really had no reason. I have had a lot of fun in this organization and I want everyone to have just as much fun as I.

As long as I can have epic battles and have an ongoing story with my characters that is all I really care about.

Edited by Spencer - 10 September 2013 at 8:08am
whaddon View Drop Down
William Haddon

Post Options Post Options   Quote whaddon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2013 at 8:37pm
Spencer,
It is rare indeed for someone to be able to let go of past prejudices and beliefs like that.  You do yourself significant credit.
 Post Reply Post Reply