FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Brain-jammer #12 (Diviner)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Society Fantasy Rules Committee
William Haddon

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote whaddon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brain-jammer #12 (Diviner)
    Posted: 06 September 2012 at 10:35am
Even though I don't think we really sucked the marrow out of Commander (Spencer, you wanted Commander... drop some ideas!), we'll move on to a tricky one: Diviner.  Diviner is a magic-user specialization that specializes in lore, but not just Major Lore, People Lore, Strange Smells Lore, but lore that supports the main function of the MU.... blowing s&^t up.

Scrye Weakness (6th):  Individual target.  The spell gives the mage the creature's greatest weakness (as if it were a Wathit) and allows the MU to do additional damage to the target with each spell.  The additional damage is equal to one increment of the spell (i.e. Branding would do 1 more, Dead-Eye 2 more, Strike 3 more, Bolt 4 more).
Discern Elemental Vulnerability (6th):  Area of Effect 30' radius hemisphere.  The GM will tell the MU if any creatures in the area of effect have vulnerability to a particular elemental damage type and, if so, what element they are vulnerable to.
Find the Vibration (9th):  Individual target.  The diviner determines the exact phase-frequency of a single creature and uses it to his advantage. The target is given a curse at the level of the casting MU.  As long as the target is cursed, it is pushed slightly out-of-phase with the MU, and treats the MU as if he were phased out.

OK.... go.
If IFGS could just get rid of the games so it could focus on sustaining its own bureaucracy... we would finally be living the Dream.
Malrubius View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Jonas Bailey

Post Options Post Options   Quote Malrubius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 10:51am
Strange Smells Lore: 6th: The caster will gain all applicable info about any strange smells described in game copy. Including the location/direction of the source, if the source is a creature, and if the smells will cause any game effects as well as what those effects are.

Done. : |

Hobbes: "What kind of nut would *care* about all this?"Calvin: "*EVERYONE!* This is hard data! It lets you quantify your enjoyment!"
wader View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote wader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 11:10am
oops sorry if rushed ya 

must think of diviner, hmmmmm
Seth View Drop Down
D/B Board and SC Member
D/B Board and SC Member

Seth Magle

Post Options Post Options   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 12:13pm
Take spell point cost of savvy down to zero?  Would save some spell points for the blowing up of stuff.  
I also have characters! They have classes and levels.
whaddon View Drop Down
William Haddon

Post Options Post Options   Quote whaddon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 3:30pm
Seth - yeah, that will happen too.  I hadn't been thinking 0 cost all the time, I'd been thinking that he gets a number of free savvy's or enhanced savvies.
If IFGS could just get rid of the games so it could focus on sustaining its own bureaucracy... we would finally be living the Dream.
Malrubius View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Jonas Bailey

Post Options Post Options   Quote Malrubius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by whaddon

Seth - yeah, that will happen too.  I hadn't been thinking 0 cost all the time, I'd been thinking that he gets a number of free savvy's or enhanced savvies.

Level per day in free enhanced (since they'll be 6th already) or something would work I think.

or maybe Know Item: 7th: for a cost of one spell point the caster will be given all the magical properties of a given magical item.
Hobbes: "What kind of nut would *care* about all this?"Calvin: "*EVERYONE!* This is hard data! It lets you quantify your enjoyment!"
whaddon View Drop Down
William Haddon

Post Options Post Options   Quote whaddon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2012 at 1:01pm
And then:
KNOW item:  Acts as an enthrall spell vs inanimate objects, stirring feelings of desire and increased intimacy within that item.
Malrubius View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Jonas Bailey

Post Options Post Options   Quote Malrubius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 10:19am
Originally posted by whaddon

And then:
KNOW item:  Acts as an enthrall spell vs inanimate objects, stirring feelings of desire and increased intimacy within that item.

I like where this is going.....
Balance View Drop Down
Society Board Member
Society Board Member
John Jones - Society Board President

Post Options Post Options   Quote Balance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 11:19am
I can't quite put my finger on it, but something tells me the Diviner is not being taken terribly seriously. Tongue

Let's give the Diviner some personal protection, shall we? A bit of a Jedi touch:

Forerunner (8th): While this spell is active, the Diviner possesses a limited form of precognition, revealing a single future threat. The Diviner may use this foreknowledge to completely avoid one melee attack, including Backstab, missile attack, or area of effect spell, but not a single-target spell. This effect lasts for one game day or until used.
whaddon View Drop Down
William Haddon

Post Options Post Options   Quote whaddon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 9:14pm
Nice one!
 Post Reply Post Reply