IFGS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Side discussion 2? Necromancer: wizard or cleric?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote wader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Side discussion 2? Necromancer: wizard or cleric?
    Posted: 10 August 2012 at 8:09am
Hope you don't mind me put this up in your yard (brain-jammers) William.  

Just been reading through all the great stuff of the last few weeks, along the way I kept coming back to the thought that, Necromancers and Liches had always seemed to be Wizards gone bad to me. 

That their ability to force the animation of the dead was always unnatural and artifical action. Similar to Golems  

A wizard could raise a creature up, but it would always be a abomination to nature, whereas when a cleric raises a creature up through the auspices of a godlike power it is Resurrection and natural.  The fact that the cleric has a whole suite of powers to whack undead is reflective of it.

anyone else's thoughts? 
whaddon View Drop Down
Society Fantasy Rules Committee
Society Fantasy Rules Committee
William Haddon

Post Options Post Options   Quote whaddon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2012 at 10:24am
My thought about putting Necromancer in Cleric is twofold. 

One: Clerics already also have some tie to the undead.  In IFGS 7.0, Wizards have no undead powers at all, including the all important Animate Dead.  Clerics have turn undead, Ashes to Ashes, Raise Dead, etc. 

Two: MUs have three pretty obvious roles that can already be used for specializations: Evoker, Abjurer, and Diviner.   Looking at what MUs and Clerics already do, it seems like Clerics should have Necromancer and MUs should not.

That said, I agree that in a lot of fantasy literature and in D&D especially, necromancer is a wizard schtick. 
If IFGS could just get rid of the games so it could focus on sustaining its own bureaucracy... we would finally be living the Dream.
wader View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote wader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2012 at 10:30am
Yeah good points, I think my view is really colored by the lit, rather then your kind of up-to-date  game play experience in IFGS,  I really overlooked that IfGS has MU's not "Wizards" 

Very succinct summary, Thanks! I stand corrected. 
 Post Reply Post Reply