FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Brain-jammer #9 (Duelist)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Society Fantasy Rules Committee
William Haddon

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote whaddon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brain-jammer #9 (Duelist)
    Posted: 09 August 2012 at 8:52am
The duelist is master of the finessed blade.  They would be most at home with a single sword, or florentine.  They rely on speed, wit, and skill, rather than strength or comrades.

Quip (7th): LI skill.  Basically a taunt.  Once used, the target can only do 1 point of damage with melee attacks to anyone but the Duelist. Uses: Level.
Blademaster (6th): When using a single sword (the other hand must be empty or hold only a buckler shield or blocking dagger) the Duelist does three additional points of damage (Stacking Group: LI).
Parry (7th):  Like a Dodge.  The Duelist may call out a Parry against a melee, projectile, or thrown weapon attack that hits him.  Is not effective against spells or traps.

Quip:  I called it that to separate it from Taunt, but it is basically a Taunt.  Although the smart-mouth thing makes sense for Duelist, the "make people fight me" doesn't really.  More of a Warrior thing.
Blademaster: I used the weird LI stacking group thing so that it would stack with base damage, enhancement spells, and magic weapons.

If IFGS could just get rid of the games so it could focus on sustaining its own bureaucracy... we would finally be living the Dream.
wader View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote wader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2012 at 12:44pm
As I said, I think these should be here not warrior.

Body Blow Mute 7th: 
uses 1/2 lev a day, The Duelist knocks the wind out of the target with a brutal jab to the body, rendering them speechless (throat stike is more realistic but safety eh?).  The Duelist must strike the body of the target successfully and call out "Mute! 60 seconds!" The target is unable to breathe easy enough to speak for the following 60 seconds.

What ya think?

Edited by wader - 09 August 2012 at 12:49pm
wader View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote wader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2012 at 12:48pm
Body blow Stagger 9th: uses 1/2 lev a day.  The Duelist rattles the very bones of the Target with a thundering strike of the flat of the blade to the body moving organs as well, reducing them to stumbling movements.  The Duelist must strike the body of the target successfully and call out "Stagger! 60 seconds!". The target can only move at half speed for 60 seconds (fight as normal speed)

Well?
wader View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote wader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2012 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by whaddon

The duelist is master of the finessed blade.  They would be most at home with a single sword, or florentine.  They rely on speed, wit, and skill, rather than strength or comrades.

Quip (7th): LI skill.  Basically a taunt.  Once used, the target can only do 1 point of damage with melee attacks to anyone but the Duelist. Uses: Level.
Blademaster (6th): When using a single sword (the other hand must be empty or hold only a buckler shield or blocking dagger) the Duelist does three additional points of damage (Stacking Group: LI).
Parry (7th):  Like a Dodge.  The Duelist may call out a Parry against a melee, projectile, or thrown weapon attack that hits him.  Is not effective against spells or traps.

Quip:  I called it that to separate it from Taunt, but it is basically a Taunt.  Although the smart-mouth thing makes sense for Duelist, the "make people fight me" doesn't really.  More of a Warrior thing.
Blademaster: I used the weird LI stacking group thing so that it would stack with base damage, enhancement spells, and magic weapons.

Oh its better then Taunt for a duelist!!! really cool flavor. The only 1 pt effect is perfect man! How do you feel about maybe calling it "challange"  that way a duelist can make a quip, or scream, or throw down a gauntlet, etc..  whatever roleplay fits the character.  Then they would call out "Challange LI X" at the target, and then the 1point effect takes over, really like it.

Blademaster is great

wader View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote wader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2012 at 1:32pm
Riposte 7th, uses 1/2 lev per day.  When struck, the Duelist can instantaneously return the blow. When struck by a opponent the Duelist calls out "riposte X" X being the damage that the duelist was hit with.  The blow must be a non special ability melee strike and come from a opponent that the Duelist is aware of, and within arms range. If the strike has made the Duelist main weapon limb useless they cannot use this ability.

Edited by wader - 09 August 2012 at 1:38pm
wader View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote wader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2012 at 1:57pm
Pin 8th, uses 1/2 lev per day.  With blinding speed the Duelist lunges forward and pins their opponents foot or shield to the ground with their main blade.  The Duelist must successfully strike the leg or shield of their opponent, then call out "Pin" (no damage). At this point the targeted leg's boot or shield are considered to be impaled to the ground on the duelist's blade and cannot be moved until the duelist removes the blade from contact to the leg or shield, or the opponent chooses to drop the shield or remove their boot.  Or if the duelist is knocked down.

There is no LI for this ability,  Keep in mind if the Duelist is silly enough to pin a high level opponent's leg they will deserve the ass whupping they receive by standing toe to toe.LOL
wader View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote wader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2012 at 2:05pm
Catch 6th, uses 1/2 lev per day, the duelist's quick, sure hands make it nearly impossible to disarm them by weapon or magic.  When hit with a ability or spell that forces them to drop their weapon the Duelist can immediately call out "Catch!" and continue on as if nothing happened.
wader View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote wader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2012 at 2:10pm
Fletch! 9th, uses 1/4 lev per day. A stunning strike to the torso, that is launched by the master Duelist like a lightning bolt.  Upon a successful  strike to the torso the Duelist calls out "Killing Attack"  
wader View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote wader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2012 at 2:33pm
Sorrowful Smile 10th, 1/5 lev per day, Like a surgeon, the Duelist reaches out and with a flick of their wrist slits their opponent throat from ear to ear.  So precise is the incision that no damage is done...... other then the blood and breath pouring out of the target,  if not healed the target will quickly die with this sad smile... 

The Duelist must successfully strike the front torso of their opponent and then call out "throat slit!" the target takes no immediate damage but must be healed for 12pts within 60 seconds or after 60 seconds they will be reduced to 0 hit points and die on their feet.  While throat slit, the target may not speak.    

Grizwald View Drop Down
Denver/Boulder Board Member
Brian Olsen

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grizwald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2012 at 4:46pm

If Blademaster is going to stack with everything, I would change it to the other hand must be empty.  Otherwise it seems too powerful.

Melee Throat Slit (10th): LI.  The Duelist cuts his opponents throat while fighting.  The Duelist calls "Melee Throat Slit, 10th level".  If affected, the target will die in 1min unless they are healed as per Throat Slit.  1/2 level uses per day.
"Brian Olsenn00b 4 l1f3!If your reading this the SSC is planing on taking away your magic items. Just you and nobody else. Thank you for reading this."
wader View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote wader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2012 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Grizwald

Melee Throat Slit (10th): LI.  The Duelist cuts his opponents throat while fighting.  The Duelist calls "Melee Throat Slit, 10th level".  If affected, the target will die in 1min unless they are healed as per Throat Slit.  1/2 level uses per day.

whether it's called  "Sorrowful Smile", "Melee throat slit", "Hey I cut your gibbet", or whatever I have some thoughts

1- I see you point making it LI has some merit.
2- It should require a successful body hit to use, this give skilled lower level opponents a chance, and gives it some balance

3- I think giving the Duelist 5 uses of this  a day would be much to powerful, this kind of scary ability 1/5 lev, or 2 a day is plenty

4- would the target be able to move about in you version?  
Grizwald View Drop Down
Brian Olsen

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grizwald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2012 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by wader

4- would the target be able to move about in you version?  

I don't see any reason why not.  This just removes the bound, held, immobile part from a Throat Slit.
"Brian Olsenn00b 4 l1f3!If your reading this the SSC is planing on taking away your magic items. Just you and nobody else. Thank you for reading this."
whaddon View Drop Down
William Haddon

Post Options Post Options   Quote whaddon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2012 at 8:36pm
I love it.  And its certainly no more powerful than Knock-Out Blow, which the Fighter has now.
If IFGS could just get rid of the games so it could focus on sustaining its own bureaucracy... we would finally be living the Dream.
wader View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote wader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2012 at 7:58am
We agree then, which great because the able to walk around part is my favorite aspect of the Smile.

It is somewhat reminiscent of the legendary monks touch of death, or kill bill's five finger death strike. 

I really like the image of someone running around pointing at there throat to team mates and jumping up and down,  Yeah I know bit blood thirsty eh!Clap

Another nice thing that occurs to me is that the Duelist as we have now could be well played as a kensai with a Kantana, or a musketeer type, etc..

warning to clerics!  do not engage a duelist!!!
Balance View Drop Down
Society Board Member
Society Board Member
John Jones - Society Board President

Post Options Post Options   Quote Balance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2012 at 8:13am
Feint (6th): LI, The Duelist performs a false attack that diverts the target's attention from a real attack. The Duelist's next melee attack on that target automatically connects, along with any carried effects, as with Free Strike. This should be called as "Feint, autohit, [damage and effects]". The target's armor and other defenses apply to the automatic hit, but the hit cannot be Evaded or Dodged.

Redirected Strike (10th): The Duelist parries an incoming melee attack, redirecting the blow to another target within 5 feet of the Duelist. The new target takes the full called effect of the attack, subject to their own defenses. This ability cannot be used to redirect a backstab.

I love it.  And its certainly no more powerful than Knock-Out Blow, which the Fighter has now.

It's also a reasonable parallel to Red Death, I think, though easier to fix.

Edited by Balance - 10 August 2012 at 8:20am
wader View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote wader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2012 at 10:21am
do you mind some thoughts on your stuff Balance?

Balance View Drop Down
Society Board Member
Society Board Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Balance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2012 at 12:22pm

do you mind some thoughts on your stuff Balance?
Go right ahead. I'm not invested in the details; they just struck me as ideas that should be incorporated in some form in a Duelist concept.
wader View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote wader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2012 at 1:31pm
Thanks man, I like em!  

Before I say anything that makes me look to silly,  Current version of "Free strike" ?

With Redirect, could you dish it back to the attacker?
Balance View Drop Down
Society Board Member
Society Board Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Balance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2012 at 2:56pm

Thanks man, I like em!  

Before I say anything that makes me look to silly,  Current version of "Free strike" ?

With Redirect, could you dish it back to the attacker?

Free Strike is the 9th level base Monk ability that lets you freeze an opponent for 2 seconds so you get a free shot at them. I referenced it because it includes a specific exception to the 5-second rule for pre-cast and carried effects on the free hit. That exception would also apply to Feint. I put Feint at a lower level than Free Strike because the Duelist is more focused on this type of combat than a monk, but 6th may be too low.

Does that address the question?

As written, you could use Redirect to target the initiator of the attack. I picture it as one of those swashbuckling cinematic moves, where the hero deflects a sword thrust so his opponent stabs the guy sneaking up behind him instead. For a scenario where the attacker takes the hit, imagine him lunging forward, blade extended, and the blade being deflected downward to skewer his leading foot.
Malrubius View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Jonas Bailey

Post Options Post Options   Quote Malrubius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2012 at 10:57am
Who did this before...I think it was a full Necro class or something tho. Anyway.

One I haven't seen:

Hurled Strike: 8th: Duelist can throw the weapon they are currently holding inflicting their current handheld melee damage with that weapon. Weapon is unusable until the end of combat after being hurled.
So you're less likely to Hurl you +3 Blade of Death Reaving but no reason you couldn't pick up a downed NPC weapon and Hurl it through a Wall of Fire or the like. 15ft range.

Hobbes: "What kind of nut would *care* about all this?"Calvin: "*EVERYONE!* This is hard data! It lets you quantify your enjoyment!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>