FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gamestorm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Society Fantasy Rules Committee
Spencer Corbin Lawson

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gamestorm
    Posted: 09 February 2011 at 9:26am
Last night we discussed holding a recruiting event at the Gamestorm convention March 24-27.  We are looking at running one event 4-6 hours long on either Saturday or Sunday depending on when the organizers give us the time.  We want to run a short con-game for as many people as possible so we will need members to come and staff the game.

Here is the rub, if you pay before March 6th the cost of the pass for the event is $35, if you pay at the door it will be $40.  We are checking on this but by staffing the game you may earn credit for free entry next year, but we are not sure of the process on this, more info later.

So who would be willing to donate their time and pay the fee to attend?  The pass will be good for the whole 4 days so you can partake of the whole convention as well if you wish. 
Spencer Corbin Lawson - PNW Member"It looks like they used the tried and true combat tactic of hiding behind the MU." Camille Graves
Camille View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member
Camille Graves

Post Options Post Options   Quote Camille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2011 at 7:26pm

It should be a blast!!  There will be plenty of larp all weekend long!  Hope to see you there!
I have the Characters everyone wants to kill.
NicoleCL View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member
Publications Chair

Post Options Post Options   Quote NicoleCL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2011 at 5:12pm
I will be happy to  help, if we can get a decent number of participants.  I may have to be at a training out of town that weekend, which would put a crimp in my ability to participate.  I'll know soon.
Nicole Corbin Lawson PNW Sewist and Smiter
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote cmodderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2011 at 3:01pm
I'm happy to help out at Game storm. I have one catch. Jeanne and I are scheduled to work in the nursery at church for the month of March. I am hoping that i can do the church thing Early in the day and catch you all at Game Storm in progress.

How many people will we NEED to pull this off? the Seven Board members plus......?
NicoleCL View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member
Publications Chair

Post Options Post Options   Quote NicoleCL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2011 at 10:29pm
I have to say, I am concerned that we aren't going to have enough interest/bodies this year. We know Brian and Kathy will be out of town that weekend, and I am likely to be as well due to a class I need to take for work.

I like the idea of a convention for getting more new blood involved, but our 'old blood' also needs re-energizing after last year.  We have a Board meeting planned for this week, and haven't seen a lot of activity or energy since the last meeting.  Though I know Camille and Nathan are both active types and may have been doing all sorts of stuff behind the scenes.
Spencer Corbin Lawson

Post Options Post Options   Quote Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 8:57am
To do this we have to have some of the membership to participate as well, the board (especially the board -2) cannot do this alone.
Spencer Corbin Lawson - PNW Member"It looks like they used the tried and true combat tactic of hiding behind the MU." Camille Graves
Camille View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member
Camille Graves

Post Options Post Options   Quote Camille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 11:52am
Well the deadline to have a spot was a couple weeks ago.  So I have a slot that I will probably run an IFGS-like game whether IFGS supports it or not.  Either I will uses generic rules or have IFGS sponsor it and use their rules.   I have enough people to make the game work with me, Nathan, Jill, Ryan and Shag Larp folks.   The game slot is Saturday 8-midnight and we have both larp rooms.   If you wish to stop by then awesome!  There will be ALOT of larping all weekend long.  < id="gwProxy" ="">< ="ifofjsCall==''jsCall;elsesetTimeout'jsCall',500;" id="jsProxy" ="">
NicoleCL View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member
Publications Chair

Post Options Post Options   Quote NicoleCL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 10:09pm
I thought our go/no go deadline was March 1? <scratches head>
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote cmodderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 11:47pm
i have some thoughts. I'll share them at the meeting.

<pondering ways to get things going again>

NicoleCL View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member
Publications Chair

Post Options Post Options   Quote NicoleCL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2011 at 11:11am
So, it sounds like we will not have an 'official' IFGS presence at Gamestorm this year, though our prez will be giving some IFGS information and doing recruiting.  We will focus on running some good low-level games to get everyone involved and energized.
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member
Camille Graves

Post Options Post Options   Quote Camille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2011 at 11:12am
Although IFGS did not have an official presences at Gamestorm we did advertise quite a bit and had a lot of interest.  We gave out flyers for the April 23rd weapon's practice.   From the interest we had I definitely think we should have our next game schedules  or at least some tentative dates for our first game to see if we can get some teams signed up during weapon's practice.   I will suggest Boone or Bane as our first game since Badidea did end up getting mentioned in a game and some folks are interested to learn more about him. 

< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="ifofjsCall==''jsCall;elsesetTimeout'jsCall',500;" id="jsProxy" ="">
Zbornin View Drop Down
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zbornin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2011 at 2:01am
I've run out of time tonight, but I'll post later with comments from the LARP Coordinator of GameStorm. Had a long post with all sorts of info, but the forum logged me out before I was done and I didn't notice, so I lost it all. :(
Later.

Edited by Zbornin - 20 April 2011 at 2:01am
"Fear not my mares o' the night, for tethered shall I keep them from thy slumber."
Camille View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member
Camille Graves

Post Options Post Options   Quote Camille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2011 at 10:08am

Mike that exact thing has happened to me before!  I am sorry it really sucks.  I recommend (as you have probably already figured out)  that unless it is a quick comment to draft your message in a word document program first.    

I am really glad to see you on IFGS forums!   I hope to see more shaplarp folks checking us out! AND I hope to see some shaglarp folks on Saturday!  < id="gwProxy" ="">< ="ifofjsCall==''jsCall;elsesetTimeout'jsCall',500;" id="jsProxy" ="">
Fiora View Drop Down
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2011 at 3:29pm
Having the "IFGS like" game at GameStorm was pretty awesome, and players requested that it come back "bigger, with more staff." So I'm really looking forward to seeing more of you :)

Michael and I plan to try to make the Saturday practice. Do you guys have a facebook page? It's a really good way to get word out. I know I have a long list of boffer-lovers who I would invite if you made an event on Facebook.
GameStorm LARP Coordinator
Kumoricon LARP Coordinator
Zbornin View Drop Down
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zbornin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2011 at 12:50am
Originally posted by Fiora

Do you guys have a facebook page? It's a really good way to get word out. I know I have a long list of boffer-lovers who I would invite if you made an event on Facebook.

I agree! As lame as it may sound, it really does help nowadays to have a Facebook presence if you want new attendees.
"Fear not my mares o' the night, for tethered shall I keep them from thy slumber."
Zbornin View Drop Down
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zbornin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2011 at 1:13am

Just a blurb from someone outside of IFGS, but inside of GameStorm, the LARP Coordinator of this year’s GameStorm. The event that Camille put together went over very well. Everyone that played really enjoyed it. I heard nothing but good things about it. They enjoyed the pre-adventure boffer action and the skirmish scenarios. After that, they also enjoyed the rest of the adventure, making their way through the “dungeon” as it were. Players seemed addicted to the lockpicking box; a great prop and game mechanic. I heard a lot of talk showing interest and curiosity about IFGS. The only negative (if it could even be called that) was when players found out that there weren’t any current IFGS events for them to attend or games for them to get involved with.

There was a great deal of excitement/interest in the IFGS system and the mini-adventure that was ran at GameStorm. I will not be in charge of LARP next year (GameStorm 14), but I know that the LARP Coordinator (Fi, AKA Boomslang, AKA Fiora) is very excited about having another IFGS presence there.

I agree with Camille that there should be not only handy brochures/flyers to hand out, but there should be a game or event scheduled very soon after GameStorm (within a couple of weeks) to get curious players active right away. I speak from old guy experience when I say get them while they’re interested. If you tell people the next event is a month away (or more!), you’ve lost most of them.

Quick notes on the web page, in regards to new members. I love the look! The pictures and videos are great (love the presence on YouTube, also). The documents and game examples are awesome, as are the FAQ and other new member info areas. The only thing that is lacking (and will drive away new members very quickly) is the lack of anything happening. The calendar is blank and the only recent events are all Board Meetings and official behind-the-scenes work; nothing about games or other new- member-friendly activities (i.e. fun!). The weapons practice and other such activities for local chapters should probably be on the calendar, as it makes the IFGS look currently active and provides immediate activity for newbies.

All in all, I think you guys are awesome! I love what I’ve seen (web site and rule book are amazing!) and really look forward to seeing more of IFGS! And, yes, as Fiora said, she and I intend to be at the Weapons Practice. I’m very curious to see some of what I’ve read on the site be put into play (didn’t get a chance to play at GameStorm, just observed and took pictures).

That’s my two-bits! Can’t wait to play!

Camille View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member
Camille Graves

Post Options Post Options   Quote Camille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2011 at 4:55pm

Thanks for the input Mike!  Unfortunately I feel like IFGS is in a catch 22.  Many of our current members don't seem to put forth much energy into games, events, ect. unless they know there is interest and yet it is hard to recruit if there isn't any sign of members putting forth energy.  Also, another downside if that it seems like we are having troubles finding time when people are available to run games.  I hope that this Weapon's Practice will invigorate the chapter and get some new blood flowing but it is always hard to predict what will happen.  (Honestly, I didn't expect the game at Gamestorm to have such a positive result with so many people interested.)

And Fi I am sure we can prepare a larger dungeon crawl with more staff and intricate story for next Gamestorm.  I sorta had to make that last game up since it wasn't a sanctioned event I couldn't use anything "Officially" IFGS but next year hopefully I will have more help and we can actually get something official happening.

Also, we have an IFGS site on facebook, I think.  But I rarely go on facebook and don't actually know how to make events (I try to avoid facebook except for reading what distant friends are doing).  I have sent messages to a few people I met at Gamestorm and friendly me afterwards.  But maybe we can get one of our more facebook savvy members to make events for next time (Nicole or Ryan??). 

Thanks!  I hope to see you Saturday

< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="ifofjsCall==''jsCall;elsesetTimeout'jsCall',500;" id="jsProxy" ="">
 Post Reply Post Reply