IFGS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who is Society and what do/should they do?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Society Board Member
Society Board Member
Society Treasurer

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Magness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who is Society and what do/should they do?
    Posted: 17 September 2010 at 10:11am
A very good topic was brought up in the membership fee discussion thread (http://forum.ifgs.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=2002) and so I've tried to bring the suggestions over here for discussion.  If I've missed some please copy them over.

The basic idea was that there are several things Society should be doing to add value to the "IFGS Product".  Specifically to membership in Society.

Originally posted by Cedric

What you need is global tools that help all chapters.

Online registry
online magic item creation and pricing tool
tools for game writers in general (fill docuements, etc)
current weapon building guides with good pictures and descriptions
A good newsletter (electronic) that ties together 
Promotion of cross chapter games and events.
Proactive outreach to all chapters regarding issues that come up to all chapters.  Society has gotten better at this at the end of the summer.
Come up with official channels of communication that are current.  Is the board the official way you want to communicate with us?  Should we promote this across chapters more than we are doing now (DB has very few people that check the forums and discuss)
bi-yearly check in on chapters with all chapter presidents on how each chapter is doing and how better we can assist each other in solving our problems.

Those are just a few quick ones off the top of my head where I could see society actually helping the organization.  IFGS has gotten smaller throughout the years and it's hard to justify such a top heavy organization in regards to the small numbers we have now. 

Originally posted by Cedric

Thought of a few more.  I'm sure some chapters won't like some of these but if they cut down on overhead especially for smaller chapters I can see it really benefiting.   

1. Consolidated web hosting for all chapters to cut down on overhead for chapters
  2. Centralized accounts like skype or another voice chat that all chapters can use for a variety of purposes.
  3. Encourage better upkeep and maintence of our wiki for cross chapter information (both in game and out of game).
  4. A slimmed down version of the rulebook available on the web for free.  Give out levels 1-4 and the base rules for newbies to be able to download and use.

Moonglum Dracaro - Fighter 7, Bartok - Druid 5, Simon of Bath - Cleric 4, Marquis Stabe - Thief 3, Ki-Adi Vanthree - Monk 2, Cathaír - Ranger 1
Magness View Drop Down
Society Board Member
Society Board Member
Society Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Magness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2010 at 10:15am

Consolidated web hosting for all chapters to cut down on overhead for chapters

We currently do offer this.  However many chapters have chosen to host independently.  I think this is a great thing to offer, but it is the chapter leaderships that have chosen not to use it.

Centralized accounts like skype or another voice chat that all chapters can use for a variety of purposes.

We have a Skype account that is usable for any Society or Chapter level meeting.  However, we have not done any kind of advertising of this fact.  :(

A slimmed down version of the rulebook available on the web for free.  Give out levels 1-4 and the base rules for newbies to be able to download and use.

Have it here:  http://www.ifgs.org/files/97/7.0QuickStart.pdf

It's actually levels 1-3, but the same basic idea.  Again though I think the issue is communication.
Moonglum Dracaro - Fighter 7, Bartok - Druid 5, Simon of Bath - Cleric 4, Marquis Stabe - Thief 3, Ki-Adi Vanthree - Monk 2, Cathaír - Ranger 1
Cedric View Drop Down
Society Sanctioning Committee
Society Sanctioning Committee

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2010 at 8:22pm
Thanks Magness.  I agree, communication I think is the issue here.  Thanks for pointing these out. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply