Forum Home Forum Home > Chapter News and Notes > Northern California Chapter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

North Cal is dead?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
No Posts
No Posts

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TieflingRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: North Cal is dead?
    Posted: 31 August 2008 at 12:00am
It seems North Cal Chapter has been dead for at least 10 years. How and why did this happen and is there ANY chance of it being brought back? If I was more confident I'd do it myself but it's tough enough just running a tabletop game or a LARP much less a Chapter for a LARP and organizing things. 
Spencer View Drop Down
Society Fantasy Rules Committee
Spencer Corbin Lawson

Post Options Post Options   Quote Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2008 at 12:00am
You are correct there has not been any activity out of NorCal for many years.  If you want to check interest you can email clerk@ifgs and ask for what ever contact list is still available and check in with those folks.  There may be a couple of things you will need to do first before getting the contacts but Janice can help you out.
Spencer Corbin Lawson - PNW Member"It looks like they used the tried and true combat tactic of hiding behind the MU." Camille Graves
TieflingRogue View Drop Down
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote TieflingRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2008 at 12:00am
Sounds good. I've seen a couple people who used to be in the IFGS around, like Xot and this other guy who's name I can't remember. 
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote TieflingRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 12:00am
I wrote them/her? about it right after you told me to and still no response. 
Spencer View Drop Down
Spencer Corbin Lawson

Post Options Post Options   Quote Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 12:00am
The IFGS Clerk is a very part time position.  I could be several days before you hear anything.  Give a week and then resend if you do not get a response.
Spencer Corbin Lawson - PNW Member"It looks like they used the tried and true combat tactic of hiding behind the MU." Camille Graves
dbierness View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote dbierness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2008 at 12:00am
There also seems to be an occasional queertron that interposes itself between messages to ifgs.org and the clerk.  I'd recommend the same as Spencer - if you don't hear within a week, resend.

I'd like to help, but I know of no-one in NorCal that wouldn't be on the chapter website.

Dorotha
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote TieflingRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2008 at 12:00am
Not sure what a queerton is.
dbierness View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote dbierness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2008 at 12:00am
Sorry, should have put a smilely next to that Wink

"Queertron."  An archaic expression of Murphy's Law as exhibited by computers/electronic networks.  Upgrade from "There's a bug in the programming."  Used to explain any communication that did not reach its intended target. 

Hope that helped. Wink
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote TieflingRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2008 at 12:00am
I'm thinking I'm gonna have to write again. Never got a response.
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote TieflingRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2008 at 12:00am
I got a response from the clerk but when I said I wanted to restart the chapter she did not respond. What am I supposed to do to get this chapter brought back from the dead?
Tim Falcon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Brett Paul - Registry Online

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tim Falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2008 at 12:00am
Here's an excerpt of the draft minutes from the last society board meeting:

NORTHERN CALIFORNIA INTEREST: Someone expressed interest in starting up a chapter in northern California. The Board is seeking a liaison to contact and guide them.

PROVISIONAL CHAPTERS: Right now there is no good model to get new chapters going. One dire need is more SPP (Sanctioning Pending Production) games. With the new rules coming out, even the current SPP games will need updating. This is the general province of the General Promotions Committee, but deserves a sub-committee to concentrate on this. The basic steps to starting a new chapter should be:

Gather 10 people and form a Board

The Board assigns them a liaison to help them along

They are under the Standard Chapter Constitution (perhaps it needs to be modified for number of Board members and newsletter language)

Direct them to Handbooks – Elections, Safety, Registry, etc. and send them a handful of Registry forms

Start running events like Weapons Practices, and weapons-building or costume workshops

Run a small room game or encounters

Start running SPP games

I hope this gives you enough information to start gathering people and resources.
- Brett
Society Tech member, and OrcSports player.
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote TieflingRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2008 at 12:00am
That sounds like an awful lot of work just to play a game. 
Spencer View Drop Down
Spencer Corbin Lawson

Post Options Post Options   Quote Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2008 at 12:00am
I agree that last post did not sound very helpful...

Unfortunately our system does take a few steps to get going.  But it is doable, I have helped start 2 chapters.

The main thing is the people.  Get your friends together and then the rest will start to fall in line.  Once you have a core group then the games can commence but you do need at least 10ish people to pull off an IFGS game.  But before you have the 10 you can have weapon's practice and run scenarios with smaller groups, we consistently have 8 or so at our weapon's practice.  It is fun fight, use a few abilities and socialize.

Another option is to come up here (Portland, OR) and participate in a game or 2 with us.  10 hours is a bit of a haul but it can be worth it.  I travel from Portland to Colorado for an extra game about every year.

I hope you can build the chapter back up, I am sure you could get a group of us PNW members to come down for a game, once in a while.  Send me an email to spencecl@msn.com and I can contact a couple in NorCal that may be interested in helping out, they have traveled up here a couple of times.
Spencer View Drop Down
Spencer Corbin Lawson

Post Options Post Options   Quote Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2008 at 12:00am
BTW - the post from the board was not just items for you to do, but for society to get you matterials and help (in the form of a liaison) for you to get the chapter resurrected.
Tim Falcon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Brett Paul - Registry Online

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tim Falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2008 at 12:00am
The three big items are 1) having around 10 people in your area, 2) getting a liaison lined up and 3) more SPP games. Both 2 and 3 are things that the board needs to push forward. I know Camille from PNW (also a board member) expressed an interest in helping with #2. #3 is slightly more problematic since we're beginning the transition to the new rules set soon.

The rest of it is administrative stuff that most of us have gotten used to, like needing a safety officer at a game, doing registry after the game, doing elections each year, etc. Your liaison should be able to walk you through all of that stuff so you can get to the fun part.

Don't be discouraged, though. And if you need any help, have any questions, please feel free to contact me (brettp at ecollege dot com).
- Brett
Society Tech member, and OrcSports player.
Camille View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member
Camille Graves

Post Options Post Options   Quote Camille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 12:00am
  Hiya,
  I am that Camille Graves that Brett mentioned.  Sorry I have been out of the loop for the last 2 weeks because of school but I just dropped a class so I have a regular life again.  So I am up for helping you get things figured out.  Can you send me an email and we can discussing some first initial steps.  Email:  C19lizards@hotmail.com   (and I will respond ;) ).  

Sorry for the confusion and lack of response,  I hope I can make up for it.
I have the Characters everyone wants to kill.
Malrubius View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Jonas Bailey

Post Options Post Options   Quote Malrubius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2008 at 12:00am
You can also just run a game yourself, it won't be OFFICIAL IFGS SANCTIONED AWESOME, but nobody is going to stop you.

If you can run a game, and folks enjoy it, then you might be able to get them to help you with some of the more involved chores of getting a "real" chapter up and running.

You can get games from here:
http://ifgs.org/gamelibrary.asp

and there should be playtest rules and such, functional for usage at ifgs.org as well.

As noted, these will not be "real" IFGS games, but they will be games, and, hopefully, they'll be fun, which is the only part that really matters.

Since you'd not be a recognized chapter\associate of IFGS officially we'd of course have to deny all knowledge of your existence when the men in black helicopters come for you. Sorta like Mission Impossible.

Smile
Hobbes: "What kind of nut would *care* about all this?"Calvin: "*EVERYONE!* This is hard data! It lets you quantify your enjoyment!"
veli View Drop Down
IFGS Forum Member
IFGS Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote veli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2008 at 12:00am
Please let me know how this progresses. It might make interesting reading for our membership. I'd like anything that shows how people are making us grow.
Dan Frazier
Praise Moradin
ShadowPlay View Drop Down
No Posts
No Posts

Post Options Post Options   Quote ShadowPlay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2009 at 12:00am
How about Nor Cal?  Any chance of activity happening here?  What can anybody do to help you get started?  Looks like everything went silent four months or so ago.
 Post Reply Post Reply